Earlier this year we held the first ever British Cured Meat Festival and Awards in Borough Market. We gathered together the great and the good of our brilliant industry to celebrate British cured meat in all it’s glory. There was an artisan market with over 10 producers, craft beer and wine bars along with great street food from the likes of Pizza Pilgrims and Gourmet Goat. There were butchery and chef demonstrations from Cobble Lane Cured, Jose Pizarro and pie maestro Calum Franklin, all hosted by the brilliant Ed Smith. Headline act The Wandering Hearts provided brilliant live music and were ably supported by DJ Oren Sounds throughout the day.
One crucial part of the day was the judging of the first ever British Cured Meat Awards. An esteemed panel of judges joined the Guild of Fine Foods to taste the shortlisted cured meat treats, which were entered in to the process by artisanal producers from all over the UK. Six awards were up for grabs, with four of those going to individual products in a specific category, plus awards for the producer who had three or more products in the final round (and gained the most points) plus The Steve Lamb Cured Meat Hero Award. Drum roll please…
Best Cured Sausage – Islington Saucisson Sec, Cobble Lane Cured, London
Best Muscle Meat – Air Dried Pork Collar, Trealy Farm Charcuterie, Wales
Best Soft or Spreadable Meat – Pork Rillette, Highland Charcuterie and Smokehouse, Scotland
Best Cooked or Smoked Meat – Yorkshire Frankfurter, Lishman’s of Ilkley, Yorkshire
Producer of the Year – Lishman’s of Ilkley, Yorkshire
The Steve Lamb Cured Meat Hero Award – Mick Whitworth, Editorial Director – Fine Food Digest, Guild of Fine Food
See below a video of the festival. We’re hoping for an even bigger and better event next year so we look forward to seeing you there!
Information for Press:
- This was the first ever British Cured Meat Festival and Awards, held on Sunday 27th May 2018
- There were 12 artisan cured meat producers with market stalls
- Street food was provided by Pizza Pilgrims, Gourmet Goat, Black’s Corner of Tyne & Wear and Bath Soft Cheese company
- Butchery, pairing and chef demonstrations were given by Cobble Lane Cured, Jose Pizarro, Nicholas Balfe, Calum Franklin and Jascots Wine Merchants
- Cannon & Cannon provided wine & meat pairing masterclasses as well as tastings with artisan producers
- Guest judges for the awards included Richard Turner, Dan Doherty, Sabrina Ghayour, Calum Franklin, Jose Pizarro, Lisa Markwell and Xanthe Clay
- The British Cured Meat Awards were presented by Sunday Brunch & Strictly Come Dancing star Simon Rimmer
- There was music from headline act The Wandering Hearts plus DJ sets from Oren Sounds and the team at Salon, Brixton
- The festival and awards were sponsored by Jascots Wine Merchants, Bizerba, Ross & Ross, The Guild of Fine Food, Reiser, Fourpure Brewing Co, Viscofan and Cannon & Cannon
- The festival and awards were supported by Borough Market, Slow Food UK, The Rare Breeds Survival Trust and River Cottage
- Tickets for next year’s festival will go on sale in January 2019 and the festival will be held on the second May bank holiday weekend. Check out the festival website right here.
- Any enquiries you may have please email firstname.lastname@example.org