Make your own Biltong & Jerky
Sun 27 May @ 10:00 am - 3:00 pm£110
Jerky and Biltong have been making waves over the last few years, gaining a cult following of dried beef lovers and carnivorous purists across the land. For those intrigued by these umami laden meat snacks, we’re offering you the opportunity to learn how to make your own versions at our Meat School.
Your tutor for the day will be Simon Kennedy, an experienced and hugely talented biltong and jerky maker based in Worcestershire. Simon is passionate about good food and carnivorous snacking; eager to move us away from the usual packet of crisps or bag of nuts. He supplies C&C with his top-drawer biltong and jerky and is always developing new products and flavour combinations. In short – this guy knows his dried beef. He will guide you first through the theory and history of biltong and jerky, and then move on to the practical skills of marinades and the drying process. He’ll even teach you some carpentry skills as you make your own drying box. The session will be on Sunday 25th February and is based at our Borough Market HQ in Jubilee Place. It begins at 10.00 and ends at 15.00 and includes:
– A welcome cuppa and bacon sandwich
– An introduction to Big Horn Biltong & C&C
– What is the difference between Biltong & Jerky?
– Which British breeds of beef are available in the UK?
– Talking with your butcher and choosing the best cut of meat
– Trimming, slicing and preparing meat for both Biltong & Jerky
– The curing & marinading process
– Create your own cure/ marinade for both Biltong & Jerky
– Light lunch sourced from Borough Market
– Make your own biltong box to take away and dry your biltong in
– A craft beer and a taste of British cured meat
Simon will teach you how to assemble your box at home for drying the Biltong & Jerky. Simple! Your very own handmade biltong and jerky to enjoy at home and impress your friends with. We hope you join us for what is set to be a fun and informative day!