- This event has passed.
Make Your Own Bacon
Sat 18 March @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm£110
9 people are attending Make Your Own Bacon
Everyone loves the smell of bacon (even vegetarians). Have you thought about making your own? You should – it’s fun, rewarding and achievable at home. Learn which pig breeds produce the most intense flavours and which parts of the glorious pig turn into the tastiest of lardons. Hugo Jeffreys will introduce you to the wonderful world of wet cure, dry cure, show you how to butcher a middle of pork to suit all your bacon needs, and guide you through a number of different curing recipes and methods. The session is based at our Borough Market HQ in Jubilee place. It begins at 10:00 and ends between 12:30 and 13:00 and includes:
- A welcome bacon butty and mug of builders’ when you arrive;
- an introduction to rare breed pork, and discussion about what makes great bacon;
- a demonstration of how to butcher a middle of pork for bacon purposes – you’ll be invited to get involved too;
- hands-on practice of boning out and skinning pork belly and loin cuts;
- recipes and materials for curing pork belly and loin, so that you leave with streaky bacon, back bacon and a block of pancetta to finish at home;
- further tastings of bacon and charcuterie through the course.
View some cracking pictures from a previous customer’s visit on Tuck & Vine.
And read Hot Dinners’ run down of the morning here. “The only problem now would be to find someone to help me eat two kilos of bacon.” … #firstworldproblems