- This event has passed.
Make Your Own Bacon DO NOT BOOK
Wed 20 February @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm£90
2 people are attending Make Your Own Bacon DO NOT BOOK
Everyone loves the smell of bacon (even vegetarians). Have you thought about making your own? You should – it’s fun, rewarding and achievable at home.
Learn which pig breeds produce the most intense flavours and which parts of the glorious pig turn into the tastiest of lardons. We’ll introduce you to the wonderful world of wet cure, dry cure, show you how to butcher a middle of pork to suit all your bacon needs, and guide you through a number of different curing recipes and methods.
Your tutor for the evening will be Tom Whitaker, a chef, butcher and charcuterie maker based in Wandsworth, London. He was a Masterchef finalist in 2011 and has since worked in a range of top London restaurants where his passion for butchery and charcuterie was crystallised
The session is based at Tempus Charcuterie in Weybridge. It begins at 19:00 prompt and will last for a couple of hours, including:
- an introduction to rare breed pork, and discussion about what makes great bacon;
- a demonstration of how to butcher a middle of pork for bacon purposes – you’ll be invited to get involved too;
- hands-on practice of boning out and skinning pork belly and loin cuts;
- recipes and materials for curing pork belly and loin, so that you leave with some bacon to finish at home;
- a sup of beer and a bite of cured meat to round off the evening.
A recent testimonial…
“I just wanted to drop you a note to say how much I enjoyed the recent bacon course on Saturday 18th March. The welcome bacon rolls, informal atmosphere, and very much hands on approach to the butchery etc were excellent. We enjoyed the fillet for dinner on Saturday, and I steeped the ribs in a sticky plum and chilli sauce overnight for dinner on Sunday evening. Bacon is doing well in the fridge. Thanks to the team for an enjoyable day on Saturday.”