Get Intimate with a Pig’s Head
Sat 25 November @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pm£125
You may have heard of ‘cotechino’. You’ve possibly seen reference to ‘porchetta di testa’. In this morning class, you’ll get to know both. Intimately.
The session starts with a lesson in the benefits of pursuing provenance and nose to tail butchery, curing, cooking and eating. Hugo Jeffreys makes incredible cured meat products for our restaurant customers, and makes sure he uses every last bit of a pig carcass whilst he’s doing it. He’ll pass on his enthusiasm and knowledge as you get down to using the less glamourous bits of a pig. You’ll learn knife skills, butchery and rolling techniques, a new respect for animals and artisans, and ultimately have a cracking time. Should you need convincing, have a read of this article written by a previous customer.
The session is based at our Borough Market HQ in Jubilee place. It begins at 10:00, ends around 13:00 and includes:
- an introduction to rare breed pork, and discussion about what makes cured meat;
- a demonstration of how to bone out and roll a pig’s head and stuff beef bung with pork bits and offal;
- a hands-on opportunity to make your own pig head ham and cotechino style sausage – you take home what you make;
- knife skills and knot skills;
- recipes and materials for finishing and cooking the ham and sausage when you get home;
- a British charcuterie tasting and beer to finish the session.