- This event has passed.
Cured Meat Butchery
Sat 28 January @ 10:30 am - 3:30 pm£150 Sold out!
Cured Meat Butchery gives you an introduction to the basics of breaking down a pig carcass for the purpose of curing.
You’ll learn knife skills from the brilliant London charcutier, Hugo Jeffreys; details about how to buy meat for curing and which breeds to look for; and the basics of curing whole muscles.
The day begins with a short introduction to British cured meat and farming, and is followed by a butchery demonstration and supervised practice.
We break for lunch, which includes and tasting of British cured meats and Borough Market produce, then get back to proceedings for a further butchery and curing guidance.
The session is based at our Borough Market HQ in Jubilee place. It begins at 10:30, ends at approximately 15:30 and includes:
- A demonstration of how to butcher a side of pork for the purposes of curing;
- The passing on of a wealth of knowledge about farming, butchery and curing from Hugo to you;
- guidance and practice of knife and knot skills;
- guidance on the basic principles of curing;
- recipes and materials for curing belly and jowls – including meat to take and finish at home;
- lunch, including a British cured meat tasting;
- and a beer to wash things down at the end.
The course is suitable for interested beginners and intermediate home cooks who are keen to learn about butchery and the basics of curing. There’s a lot of information, plenty of hands-on work, and it’s extremely enjoyable.
See this great Munchies article that profiled Hugo at work on one of our other courses.